Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How do you change the Drive Directory of an External Hard Drive?

I have an external hard drive that used to be detected in my computer as (E:). I have many programs installed in that hard drive. Now, all of a sudden, it changed into (F:). I can still run the programs if I go to their folders directly, but the problem comes when I need to uninstall the programs. Since the program's uninstaller is programmed to uninstall the one in the (E:) directory, it shows ';Invalid E: directory';. How could I make it uninstall the one in F:, or can I make the F: directory come back to E:?How do you change the Drive Directory of an External Hard Drive?
Hi There,

You can change the drive letters using Disk Management.



Here is how to do it in XP:

Click ';Start'; click ';Administrative Tools';

Click ';Computer Management';

under ';storage'; click ';Disk Management';



On the right side is a listing of all your drives.



Right click your external drive and in the options box select ';Change Drive Letter and Paths';.



Just be sure you do not change it to another drive that has the same drive letter. You could first change the drive that now has the ';E'; drive letter to something else then you could safely change your external drive back to ';E Drive';.



Before I did all of this I would find out what changed the drive letter in the first place. Likely it was changed when you plugged in a media card reader. If that is true you could remove the card reader, reboot your computer and now the external drive should be in E Drive.



The new printers usually have a card reader built-in and they will reserve about five drive letters.

That happens even when they are empty.



You will have to decide what you would rather do.

Hope this helps,

Al
  • asp hosting
  • glory hand cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment