Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I change my root password?

Any Red Hat Fedora expert here?



How do we get to the root directory and change the password?



I forgot the password and the periodic updates keep popping up asking me permission to do it and require my root password. However, I forgot my root password.How do I change my root password?
During normal usage, a Linux OS runs under runlevels between 2 and 5 which corresponds to various multi-user modes. Booting Linux under runlevel 1 will allow one to enter into a specific mode, single user mode. Under such a level, you directly get a root prompt. From there, changing root password is a piece of cake.



Use this short, and easy guide to use GRUB to fix your situation.. Should work just fine!



http://www.debuntu.org/recover-root-passHow do I change my root password?
You'll have to edit /etc/passwd.



Assuming this is YOUR computer or one which you otherwise have legal access to:



You'll need root access to do so. If you boot the computer up using a liveCD (or similar) then you should be able to access if by logging in as root from the liveCD and mounting the partition which contains /etc locally and edit the root password there.

No comments:

Post a Comment