Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do i change the temp directory of Microsoft Access?

I have a huge 1.5 gig database file. I am trying to sort it. Every time i sort it, i get a message, that my c drive is losing space, and then access tells me that there aren't enough resources. I don't have big drives, and C is only taken up by windows and other neccessary stuff. How can i make Access use a folder, say in an external hardrive, as a temp folder?How do i change the temp directory of Microsoft Access?
Wow. Where to even begin...



I guess there would be a lot of questions that would need to be answered before any specific advice could be given.



What version of Access are you using?

Has the Dbase been split into a front end/backend?

Are you running it off of a Network with the Server holding the Tables and the Workstations running the App?

Are you running everything off of one computer?

How much free space do you currently have on your hard drive?



Why do you want to hold it in a temp file? Would it not be easier to move the entire Dbase onto a new drive? I know you said you had no big drives, but at this point it might be easier to install a new one, be it an internal or USB. At least they're cheap these days. Heck, an 80 gig drive would be more than enough to do the job and would only run you $70 or so.



Now, when you say you are trying to ';Sort it'; do you mean that you are try to filter the data with a query? If that's the case, maybe the computer is running low on RAM trying to filter out the monster Dbase of yours. Of course, running low on RAM would force the computer to depend on virtual memory (your hard drive). If your hard drive is low on space, then you definately need a new drive. If your drive still has space on it, then I would try to increase the size of your Virtual memory.



That's just off the top of my head. If you could please post more info, I will be able to help you out a bit more (or at least try to!)

I will check back daily until the question is resolved.



Hope this helps.



**************************************?br>


Wow. That is a project. Gimme a day or so to think this one over.

No comments:

Post a Comment