Saturday, November 20, 2010

How to change location of 'My documents' to other hard drive.?

I want all of the system folder my documents to work on my second internal hard drive, how can I change the directory?How to change location of 'My documents' to other hard drive.?
Here you go

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_m



///How to change location of 'My documents' to other hard drive.?
READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE TO GO













You should be able to move the ';target'; of your ';My Documents'; folder on each machine. ';My Documents'; is actually a redirection that is done within the Windows Explorer shell, and is easy to reassign on the face of it. I have not tried this on a network drive, so there are no guarantees. I have successfully reassigned My Documents to what is (to me) a more accessible directory on my hard drive. Here's what you can do:



1) Set up your network and your network drive. Make sure that it is assigned a particular letter for each machine. (Assign permanent drive letters under Control Panel --%26gt; Administrative Tools --%26gt; Computer Management --%26gt; Disk Management. This should work for network drives as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong; again, I haven't done this before.



2) On your computers, open Windows Explorer. From My Computer, right-click on My Documents and select properties. The first thing that pops up is a ';target folder location'; screen. Select ';move'; and pick the desired folder on your networked drive (i.e., computer 1's documents, computer 2's documents, etc.). You may have to physically copy everything over, but then it will be on the networked drive and everything should work smoothly. That is, in the future, Windows will go to the target location whenever you look in ';My Documents';



It is possible that you can even do #2 without bothering with #1. You may wish to try. If so, make sure you assign a specific name/letter to your network drive that is somewhere down the line (H or so) so that Windows won't get confused if you are using USB drives or flash cards on occasion.



As always, back up first.
There is a another way to do this.



Download Microsoft's Tweak UI from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downl



Under My Computer -%26gt; Special Folders



And the tool can be used for changing other things too.
Use Tweak UI
If you are trying to move the entire My Documents folder, then there is a simple and very easy way to do it.



Either on the desktop or start menu depending on how your windows is setup right click on your ';My Documents'; go to properties.. There will be a tab there that says target in that it will say ';Target Folder Location'; and list something like C:\Documents and Settings\%user-name%\My Documents under that click ';Move';, pick the location you want your My Documents to be click OK, a pop up will ask you if you want to move all of the documents from the old location to your new location. Say YES.



Then you are done.



If you want to move any other system folder then it was be easiest to use Tweak UI but for the My Docs this way is quick and easy and it works...
well! you can ofcourse change location by modifying registry

or find software form net using google.. my create proble later on

the ideal thing should be

- create a folder wherever you wish

- create shortcut on desktop and mydocument for that folder

- it will be easily available e'time when you need.

- same you can keep in quick launch.

so you will have your folder accessible from everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment